ElParserException: Failed to parse <MyRequestName> with error '[B cannot be cast to [C'

Hi All,

I recently started using Gatling for testing. At first to learn, I recorded a simulation from HAR converter, then ran the same with gatling.bat file. The test ran successfully.

Now I want to create a project for myself, enable CI for performance testing such that after every deployment, my simulation should run.

Here are the steps that I followed:

1. Installed Eclipse Oxygen
  2. Set up Maven
  3. Created a Maven project using archetype as explained here
  4. Imported the archetype, modified pom.xml with gatling-maven-plugin (while scala-maven-plugin, and gatling-charts-highcharts bundle were already present as dependencies)
  5. Placed the earlier recorded simulation in /src/test/scala/
  6. Added true as a configuration in gatling-maven-plugin (since I am using scala-maven-plugin too)
  7. Ran the following commands: 1. mvn eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse 2. mvn clean install 3. mvn gatling:test

While command 1 and 2 give the message as Build Successful, the 3rd command throws following error:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at io.gatling.mojo.MainWithArgsInFile.runMain(MainWithArgsInFile.java:50)
at io.gatling.mojo.MainWithArgsInFile.main(MainWithArgsInFile.java:33)
Caused by: io.gatling.core.session.el.ElParserException: Failed to parse OKRHomePage with error '[B cannot be cast to [C’
at io.gatling.core.session.el.ElCompiler.parseEl(ElCompiler.scala:249)
at io.gatling.core.session.el.ElCompiler$.parse(ElCompiler.scala:171)
at io.gatling.core.session.el.ElCompiler$.compile(ElCompiler.scala:174)
at io.gatling.core.session.el.package$El$.el$extension(package.scala:26)
at io.gatling.core.ValidationImplicits.stringToExpression(ValidationImplicits.scala:48)
at io.gatling.core.ValidationImplicits.stringToExpression$(ValidationImplicits.scala:48)
at io.gatling.core.Predef$.stringToExpression(Predef.scala:22)
at Dontknow.(Dontknow.scala:158)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at io.gatling.app.Runner.run0(Runner.scala:79)
at io.gatling.app.Runner.run(Runner.scala:64)
at io.gatling.app.Gatling$.start(Gatling.scala:63)
at io.gatling.app.Gatling$.fromArgs(Gatling.scala:45)
at io.gatling.app.Gatling$.main(Gatling.scala:37)
at io.gatling.app.Gatling.main(Gatling.scala)
… 6 more

I searched in this group for this error message, I got following possible fixes/repairs from few of the posts:

1. This post Make sure project is using JDK 1.8 - I am using JDK 1.8
  2. This post says it could be due to class/project name conflicts, re-create the project from scratch - Did it twice, once in Eclipse, another in IntelliJ. Both throw the same error

I would highly appreciate if someone could point me in a right direction. Attaching the pom.xml. And here are the versions I’m currently using:
gatling-maven-plugin - 2.2.4
gatling-highcharts-maven-archetype - 2.3.1

scala - 2.12.3
gatling and gatling-charts-highcharts - 2.3.0
scala-maven-plugin - 3.2.2

apache-maven - 3.5.3

Note: Attaching two different versions of pom.xml with slightly different versions of above components. I get the same error in both of poms though.

pom_intellij.xml (3.2 KB)

pom_eclipse.xml (3.04 KB)

Gatling 2 doesn’t support Java 9+, Gatling 3 will.

Thank You Mr.Stéphane*,*

That worked! Actually I had both Java 10 and Java 8 on my machine. I had to uninstall Java 10 to make it work. We can mark this issue as closed.