I am facing > j.n.s.SSLException: handshake time out when i run the load test with the latest gatling version 3.3.1. The same load test does not throw the error when i run on lower version 3.1.1 or 3.0.0.RC.Is anybody else facimg similar issue.

The scenarios are pretty straight forward with 4 read(/get) and 4 Writes(POST/PUT)

I get the folowing exception for most of my load run :

Request 'search profile' failed for user 478
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: handshake timed out
   at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler$5.run(SslHandler.java:2008)
   at io.netty.util.concurrent.PromiseTask$RunnableAdapter.call(PromiseTask.java:38)
   at io.netty.util.concurrent.ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledFutureTask.java:139)
   at io.netty.util.concurrent.AbstractEventExecutor.safeExecute(AbstractEventExecutor.java:163)
   at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor.runAllTasks(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:510)
   at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:518)
   at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$6.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:1044)
   at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74)
   at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30)
   at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

Old Gatling versions didn’t use one SSLContext per virtual user, causing incorrect handshakes with too much SSLSession reuse.

The results you have were unrealistic wrt number of SSLSessions created.
The results you now have are correct: your system under load can’t withstand the TLS load your throwing at it.

Thanks Stephane for clarification .