IllegalArgumentException: Invalid version format

I am using 2.2.2 and seeing the following errors in the gatling console. I have seen other messages related to this in the forum but i didn’t understand what they meant and how much of this problem is client side versus server side. I am pushing a moderately high volume through gatling (10k simultaneous users) on a windows 7 Java 8 machine.

What does this mean and what can i do next?

---- Errors --------------------------------------------------------------------

j.l.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: - 131 (33.00%)
j.l.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: 1:B029D2 93 (23.43%)
4E-C5BF-43E9-B059-7F022EDFF282:FCE28309-17FA-438F-A57A-BF09C8D…
j.l.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: ON 48 (12.09%)
j.l.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: LN":“430 44 (11.08%)
j.l.IllegalArgumentException: invalid version format: BRIDGE”, 38 ( 9.57%)

“SSN”:“”,“OEID”:NULL,“OEP”:NULL,“OLA”:NULL,“OLO”:NULL,“LID”:32…

This error means that when Netty tried to read the HTTP response status line, it hit some crap instead of the expected values (1.0, 1.1 or 2.0).

Now, it’s impossible to figure out the root cause without a reproducer or a TCP dump (Wireshark).

It could be that your server or some network intermediate component (load balancer, firewall, anti-virus) is broken and Gatling receives corrupted TCP frames. Gatling helped uncover such issue with AWS ELB some time ago. As you run on Windows, do you have anti-virus enabled?

Or it could be a Netty issue that fails to properly move read buffer. Still, I doubt it as we haven’t seen anything remotely related reported lately.

Yes. ESet is running. Why would that matter? If i can give IT a reason that it is in the way, i might be able to convince them to have it off for the test and at least prove that it is the problem.