Throughput shaping per user

Hello,

I’m coming over from JMeter world and considering a switch to Gatling. So, before completely committing to the switch, would like to know if Gatling supports the features we’ve been using on JMeter.

Is it possible to control the throughput (RPS) per injected user? Let’s say I want to have the 10 RPS per user, then I would do a ramp of users which would essentially ramp the TPS linearly.

PS I’m doing API testing, so I think pause is not applicable.

Thanks in advance,
Veljko

I recommend to first watch this talk: Load Testing Crash Course with Gatling by Stéphane Landelle - YouTube

There are too many missing piece in what you’ve provided to properly design an injection profile.

Thanks for sharing the video, it is very useful, you summed it up very elegantly.

However, I couldn’t find the indication of the answer and clarification in the video. I understand what I described is probably not the ideal way of modelling the test, but that is what we practiced, among all, as the overall throughput shaping with JMeter was somehow unstable (e.g. with Constant Throughput Timer). As soon as we passed some threshold, it kinda started to fail to listen to the input values, while a “Rate per thread” model proved to be very consistent.

I understand what I described is probably not the ideal way of modelling the test

That’s my point indeed.

that is what we practiced, among all, as the overall throughput shaping with JMeter was somehow unstable (e.g. with Constant Throughput Timer). As soon as we passed some threshold, it kinda started to fail to listen to the input values, while a “Rate per thread” model proved to be very consistent.

Maybe that’s a JMeter issue, can’t say.
And maybe trying to switch to Gatling is an opportunity to reconsider what you seem to describe as a workaround.

Gatling doesn’t have a “rate per thread” model. And IMO it doesn’t make any sense for not multiplexing protocols such as HTTP1.1: obviously you can’t go beyond (1 / response time in seconds) requests per second.
The closest thing we have is pace.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.