Gatling for API Automation Testing ?

Hi,

Going by the capabilities of Gatling along with Scala’s verbose power,
I was wondering can’t we consider Gatling as a serious competitor when considering Gatling for API automation?

As far as I am aware, it does all the required checks like any other API automation tools
(say Postman for example or Selenium) and the same script can be converted into a Performance script by upgrading the “setUp”.

Am I being too naive here or completely wrong? Can someone help me out?

P.S. => I am not talking about browser / mobile automation here but about the APIs.

Warm Regards,
Mishal Alexander

That’s a plan for later this year.

Thanks for your response Stéphane but could you please share a little more information on what is lacking in Gatling to not use it for API automation at the moment?
I am asking this because I was seriously considering it for API automation testing, like right now, though my Scala skills are not that great!

Hi Mishal,

did you try functional specs in Gatling?
https://gatling.io/docs/current/general/functional_specs/

We use them successfully for automated API testing.

Cheers,
Adam

Thanks a lot, Adam for this information and sorry for the delay!
This looks very promising. But it appears to me that it is a little more code-oriented than Gatling (my Scala skills are not great, unfortunately)
Maybe the Gatling team is working on making it simpler, I think? Anyways I am excited to see what they are going to come up with!

In the meantime, I am considering to use Newman + Postman for the automation requirements and stick with Gatling for Performance.